Why Am I Running Out of Hot Water?
Are you shivering when you should be relaxing? There could be many reasons why your shower or sink are running cold. Whether you have a traditional tank or tankless water heater will determine what to troubleshoot.
Hot Water Issues With Tank-Based Heater
In general, tank-based units work by filling the tank with cold water, warming it with a heating element on the top and bottom, and then sending it out pressurized whenever you turn a faucet on. So, if you’re having irregularities in your hot water then try following these solutions from simple to complex:
- Check your heater’s thermostat setting to see if it is too low.
- Check if all the valves and exhaust are unobstructed.
- For electric heaters, you can try resetting it using a button that should be behind an access panel.
- Use a multimeter to check if the temperature sensor needs replacing.
- Try flushing the water heater of sediment that may have accumulated on the bottom of the tank (though sometimes sediment buildup is so bad, you should opt for a new unit).
- You might just need a larger water heater if you only notice a problem when drawing a lot of water at once.
Hot Water Issues With Tankless Heater
Tankless models work by moving water through more powerful heating elements whenever you turn on the faucet. So, unlike traditional models you won’t be running out of water or have much sediment to clean. Instead you could try these fixes:
- Check if the circuit breaker tripped.
- Check whether the thermostat is at the appropriate setting.
- Push the high-temperature cutoff reset button, but if that doesn’t work, then try testing each of the heating elements.
Some of these hotfixes are better left to a professional. And a total replacement definitely is! If you are in one of those situations that need a professional, call us at (808) 691-9309 Oahu, (808) 400-8811 Hawaii Island.