What To Do When Your Water Won’t Work
When water isn’t coming out of your pipes, you need to stay calm and go through this checklist of what could be going wrong. It’s best to start off assuming there is an easy fix, but as you go down the list, be ready to call in an expert for the more complex issues.
There are a lot of reasons that your water might not be running. Here are some initial things to check that could indicate a quick and easy fix.
- Double-check which faucets are not working, since a single malfunctioning fixture may imply that only that faucet needs to be replaced.
- Double-check your water main is open, and try loosening and retightening the bolts and valves around the main, using pliers if necessary.
Look for Leaks
The issue might be due to a central pipe or appliance not working properly. Here’s where to start your search if those initial checks didn’t identify the problem.
- If only hot water is not coming out, check your water heater for leaks or odd noises and smells, since this would indicate the need to flush or replace it.
- Starting from the lowest elevation, follow your pipes to check for leaks, damp spots, and rust — all of which will likely require you to shut off your water main to fix.
Call for Help
If you can’t identify the problem, it’s time to get more information and identify the problem. Here’s who you should contact.
- Call your utilities company to check if there is a water outage
- Call the expert plumbers at EPS by dialing (808) 691-9309 (Oahu) or (808) 400-8811 (Big Island) to conduct a search for clogs in your plumbing through a non-invasive video inspection.
If you need a plumber you can trust to get your water fixed and you live on Oahu, then call (808) 691-9309 right away to get in touch with EPS. For service on the Big Island be sure to call (808) 400-8811.