Frozen pipes are a common concern for homeowners, especially those who live in areas that experience harsh winter weather. While many people take precautions to prevent frozen pipes by insulating and removing hoses from outdoors, your outdoor water spigots can still serve as a source of water damage within your plumbing system.
As such, it is important to install covers on outdoor spigots to prevent freezing and potentially catastrophic damage in the colder months.
Installing covers on outdoor water spigots is relatively simple
- First, you will need to remove your outdoor hoses and be sure residual water is drained from the spigot itself.
- Next, find the outdoor faucet cover you prefer. These are relatively inexpensive and can typically be found at your local hardware store or online. Faucet covers are often made of soft foam or in the form of a drawstring bag made of soft material.
To install the covers:
- Place the loop located inside the soft foam cover around the spigot.
- Position the cover to completely surround the spigot.
- Tighten the lock to hold the cover in place.
If you are using a bag-style cover, simply put the bag around the faucet and pull the drawstring tight to keep it securely in place. Make sure your outdoor water spigot covers are tight and secure so no air can circulate inside.
And there you have it! This simple household task can potentially save you thousands of dollars in water damage down the road.
Plumbers in Oahu and Maui
The unfortunate truth is that no matter how careful you are, plumbing problems can still pop up in your home. The good news is that you can always call the local experts at Emergency Plumbing & Solar. For plumbing maintenance or repair service, call us today at (808) 691-9309 or fill out a short form.