5 DIY Methods for Clearing a Clogged Drain
Sometimes home improvement calls for home remedies, and it can be faster to clear a clogged drain at home with available tools. This can be especially true for clogged drains. Depending on what resources you have on hand and the nature of the clog, one of the following tips may free your drain within minutes:
- Boiling Water: This is the least likely remedy on the list to work, but it’s worth a shot. Some people swear by putting some liquid soap around the rim of the clogged pipe before pouring in the hot water.
- Salt and Baking Soda: Combining these two household items in a 1:1 ratio and pouring down about a cup of that mixture can clear many clogs, but the trick is waiting 20 minutes after applying the mixture, and then pouring/flushing water down the drain.
- Baking Soda and Vinegar: This classic chemical reaction used in cleaning and in science fairs can help move clogs so long as you apply them in a 1:1 ratio and flush with water.
- Wire Coat Hangers: These can be fashioned into makeshift augers by unbending the hooked end and deforming the shape into something you can stick down the drain to either fish out or break up the clog.
- Plungers: Everyone should have a plunger, or even two, since flat, stereotypically red plungers are better for sink clogs, and flange, usually black, plungers are better for toilets.
But sometimes you just can’t solve your plumbing issues by yourself. For those times call us at (808) 691-9309 Oahu, (808) 400-8811 Hawaii Island to get in touch with EPS Hawaii.